Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Rocky Patel-Sungrown


Brand: Rocky Patel
Blend: Sungrown
Vitola: Robusto (5.5x50)
Paired with: Mtn. Dew
TV/Movie/Other: Clockwork Angels: The Novel
Smoked at: Cigar Jacks

I obtained this cigar via another Redditor like myself. It has a medium coloured wrapper, and a double band bearing both the name and the blend. After cutting the cigar with a V-cutter, I took a cold draw, and was both surprised and worried at how loose the draw was. I lit it with a triple torch lighter, toasting the foot nicely first. I was immediately met with sweet, almost hazelnut notes and a very nice mild spice. The ash was a nice white colour, and didn't seem at all flaky.

An inch and a half into this stick, the burn became uneven. I flipped it over to let the underside catch up, but it was no use. I had to even it up with a single torch lighter that one of the Jacks regulars had laying around. The mild spice had faded at that point into rich, much more spicy tobacco overtones with sweet coffee undertones. The ash held on for an inch and a half before falling off (albeit this was my fault, as I jostled the stick setting it down).

More than halfway through, the flavours started to change again. I love this about Rocky Patel cigars; generally, they are very fluid and changing throughout the length of the smoke. Very prominent oaky flavours are mingling with the hazelnut undertones now, and the spice is still quite strong and in your face. Unfortunately, the burn is quite uneven, even after touch-ups. I put the single torch to the uneven part once more. In the last two inches or so, it grew slightly hot, and I set it down to die.



Final verdict: very flavourful and changing stick (hazelnut, coffee, oak, spice) with nice ash and quite a few burn problems. Full bodied. Overall, a good stick, but not for every day. 84/100




No comments:

Post a Comment